Ukrainian Language Classes for Adults (ULCA) have been offered at St. Andrew’s Ukrainian Cultural Centre since 1989. St. Andrew’s Ladies’ Auxiliary, a branch of the Ukrainian Women’s Association of Canada (UWAC), sponsors the classes. A committee oversees the operation of the language school.
Who can register?
Any older teen or adult, regardless of affiliation or background who wishes to learn and/or improve their Ukrainian language, may register.
Why Learn Ukrainian?
- to learn in a fun and supportive environment
- to communicate with family and friends locally and in Ukraine
- to enhance Ukrainian language skills
- to appreciate the rich language and culture of the Ukrainian people
- to appreciate Ukrainian cultural traditions
- to appreciate a rich Ukrainian intellectual tradition
- to understand and use some of the liturgical language used in Ukrainian churches
- to learn the language of economic and cultural opportunities in Ukraine
- to assist with travel in Slavic countries
- to enjoy Ukrainian contemporary, avant-garde pop culture, fashion, music, etc.
- to understand Ukrainian history and current political circumstances
Ukrainian language instruction is offered at several levels from beginner to advanced. A course outline of Language Learner Skills, adapted from the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR), allows students to assess their level of mastery. Our classes are unaccredited; no certification is provided.
Beginners learn the Ukrainian (Cyrillic) alphabet, basic oral expression, practice in reading, and exercises in writing. Emphasis is on proper pronunciation, comprehension and use of basic vocabulary in conversation. Subsequent levels provide for continued expansion of vocabulary and further development of listening, speaking, reading, and writing skills with reference to grammatical structure of the language.
Mid-September to latter December; Wednesday evenings, 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
St. Andrew’s Cultural Centre, 9831 – 75 Street, Edmonton, AB T6A 2Y8 (lower door)
Program Contact: Leanna Buzak, [email protected]
St. Andrew’s Parish Office: 780-469-1463